Thursday 3 December 2015

The Eye Stopper

Earlier this year I wrote about Tom Cooper from Menangle Park under the title 'A Man of Colours'. Tom was a colourful character in more ways than one. I recommend that you read this short post again to remind yourself of this remarkable man. This background on Tom will help when reading the following blog post. Here is the post from earlier this year:

http://campbelltown-library.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Cooper%20Tom

Thanks to local history enthusiast Garry Seddon, I am able to reveal much more about Tom Cooper. In the 1963-64 winter edition of The Literary Review, Menangle local Melva Thomas published an article on Tom Cooper titled The Eye Stopper. Garry was able to provide me with a copy of this article which also includes a photograph of Tom. Melva was Tom's neighbour at Menangle Park and one of the few neighbours, if not the only neighbour, who accepted Tom's eccentric way of life.

Instead of attempting to summarise the article I thought I would include it here in full. The article is quite long but I assure you it's well worth taking the time to read. It gives a wonderful insight into the life of such a beautiful character from our area's past. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did and I would love to know your thoughts.

Click on the Tom Cooper link below:

Tom Cooper


Written by Andrew Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment