Eventually the grants became one farm owned by merchant farmer Samuel Terry, who became known as the “Botany Bay Rothschild.” The property stayed in the Terry family after Samuel Terry’s death in 1838, via his grandson Samuel Terry Hughes, then to his stepdaughter Esther Hughes and then to William Nunn Pattrick, grandson of Esther Hughes. Pattrick (who had 12 children, of whom 6 sons served in WWI, three killed in action, 2 wounded), sold the property to Alfred Leath Park. Alfred built “Parkholme” – described as one of the “prettiest villas in the vicinity of Campbelltown, or indeed the colony”. Park was well known in coursing circles in the colony and his greyhounds were his pride and joy. In about 1892, the property was sold to Henry Edward Vaughan, who was elected as an Alderman the same year, and as Mayor of Campbelltown the following year. He only served as mayor for one year. He leased Parkholme out when he subsequently moved away and after his death in 1901 it was purchased by Frederick Merewether. Frederick’s brother Herbert built the historic home Raith around the same time. The Merewethers were descendants of a pioneering family from the Hunter Valley.
In 1913 the property changed hands again. It was sold to Charles Burcher. Born to blacksmith father Steven and mother Jane in Liverpool, on April 4th, 1837, Charles married Margaret Wilhelmina Smith in 1873, but she would tragically die in 1874, and their first and only child, daughter Jane, died in 1875.
|(Photo: Pastoral Review 16.12.1916)
Burcher was highly respected in pastoral circles, and had been the owner of Euglo Station near Condobolin, and the adjoining Eugalong Station. Consequently, having retired to Campbelltown he changed the name “Parkholme” to “Euglorie Park”. Newspapers of the day frequently misspelt the name as “Englorie”, and this name would eventually stick. Burcher only lived at Euglorie Park for 3 years, before he died in 1916. He is buried in St Peter’s Cemetery, and clearly on his headstone is written “Charles Burcher who died at Euglorie, Campbelltown”. And so, Englorie Park really should be named "Euglorie Park".
Burcher's headstone at St Peter's Campbelltown
Written by Claire Lynch
Grist Mills, Vol.4, No.1