Saturday 14 July 2012

How they used to treat snake bites!

From the Australian Town and Country Journal dated 2nd November, 1872:

Campbelltown. Wednesday. "Today, a man named Edward Barrett, while lifting a sheet of bark, was bitten in the finger by a black snake. After lacerating the wound, he galloped into town, a distance of three miles, where Mr. J. Egan sucked the wound, and accidentally swallowed some of the poison. Barnett is much better, but Mr. Egan is in a very dangerous state."

Snakes have a long history of terrorising Campbelltown folk. This one was caught around 1920 at Denham Court by Fred Asher and John McDonald.

Written by Andrew Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment