Three cheers from a crowd of 50-60 settlers echoed around the tiny settlement. The settlers were celebrating the naming of Campbell Town on this day 1 December 1820. Governor Lachlan Macquarie formally marked the boundaries of the township, the sites for the church, school and burial ground. He named it after his wife's maiden name. The ceremony was held at the current site of Mawson Park, probably close to St Peter's Church.
A portrait of Lachlan Macquarie