The year 1970 saw a spate of demolitions of historical buildings in Campbelltown. It started with the beautiful home "Rosangeles" in January, followed in March by the police sergeant's residence in Railway Street and the old St John's Presbytery in July. The rapid population expansion of the city resulted in a need for more car parking spaces. Unfortunately these wonderful old buildings paid the price for this demand.
The following is a little bit about each building that felt the full force of the bulldozer that year:
This house stood at the south west corner of Oxley and Cordeaux Street. It was built in 1923 by Andrew Lysaght who, at that time, was the State Member of parliament for this area. The house had from all accounts been built to last by Lysaght. The verandah posts were cut from the bush at Appin at the time and all of the fine maple panelling in the house was cut from one tree by the Sydney firm of George Hudson. The house was surrounded by a fine garden and a number of tall palm trees.
Rosangeles at the time of its demolition in January 1970 (From the Campbelltown Ingleburn News February 3, 1970)
Police Sergeant's Residence
This building was located next to the police station in Railway Street. It was demolished to make way for extensions to Hurley Street and eventual traffic access improvements around the adjacent station. The sandstock bricks in the old residence were used in the footpath in front of "Glenalvon" in Lithgow Street.
St John's Presbytery
Land was purchased in 1839 in which a presbytery was to be eventually erected. A log belfry stood on this land until it was replaced by this building. It stood in Cordeaux Street. The two-storey brick building with shingled roof, shuttered windows and wooden columns also housed the Appin priest. The presbytery was located not far from the current presbytery where a car park now occupies the site.
The Presbytery taken around 1900 by Percy Marlow (Campbelltown and Airds Historical Society)
Do you have a photograph that shows the police sergeant's residence in Railway Street? The Campbelltown Ingleburn News contains a grainy image unsuitable for this blog. We'd love to see a clearer image.
Campbelltown Ingleburn News Feb 3, 1970; Mar 24, 1970; Jul 14, 1970
St John The Evangelist Parish Campbelltown- 150 Years